Most of us have some degree of physical intelligence, we feel hungry we eat, we feel thirsty we drink, we feel tired we rest and so on… But when we fall ill we require more than physical intelligence to heal. We rely on mental intelligence to make an informed decision that we are unwell. Emotional Intelligence helps us make choices about the healing route we are going to pursue. For example our mental intelligence will inform us of the importance of rest, but our emotional intelligence will permit us to fulfil this need or not. A good example of this is when someone feels guilty about taking rest and will therefore ignore all good reason to rest. So where does Spiritual Intelligence fit in? We often develop a physical illness in order to carry out healing that has a spiritual component (remembering our true nature; the love that powers our existence is enough to create a shift in awareness to bring about deep healing). Often our dis-eases / discomforts / disharmonies are caused by our negative thinking and our fear driven emotions, which are not in alignment with Spiritual Intelligence.
In truth none of these intelligences function independently, however when each one of them is aligned with Spiritual Intelligence our lives become dynamic ripples of Loving Intelligence expressing deep Truth.
Recently we began exploring our work as a means of developing Spiritual Intelligence. But what is Spiritual Intelligence?Over the years Eddie and I have encountered many projects, illnesses, challenges and disharmony, the most moment-defining in the healing process has been the understanding that arises when the correlation between their project (disharmony) and spiritual learning is acknowledged. Spiritual Intelligence is vital in healing, so why not in business, in education, in relationships? Cultivating (more accurately remembering) one’s Spiritual Intelligence is having the understanding that each one of us is not confined to space and time, we are fragments of infinite Love capable of great acts of inspiration and courage. Danah Zohar coined the term “spiritual intelligence” and introduced the idea in 1997 in her book, “ReWiring the Corporate Brain.”
Danah Zohar defined 12 principles underlying spiritual intelligence:
- Self-awareness: Knowing what I believe in and value, and what deeply motivates me.
- Spontaneity: Living in and being responsive to the moment.
- Being vision and value led: Acting from principles and deep beliefs, and living accordingly.
- Holism: Seeing larger patterns, relationships, and connections; having a sense of belonging.
- Compassion: Having the quality of “feeling-with” and deep empathy.
- Celebration of diversity: Valuing other people for their differences, not despite them.
- Field independence: Standing against the crowd and having one’s own convictions.
- Humility: Having the sense of being a player in a larger drama, of one’s true place in the world.
- Tendency to ask fundamental “Why?” questions: Needing to understand things and get to the bottom of them.
- Ability to reframe: Standing back from a situation or problem and seeing the bigger picture or wider context.
- Positive use of adversity: Learning and growing from mistakes, setbacks, and suffering.
- Sense of vocation: Feeling called upon to serve, to give something back.
Robert Emmons defines spiritual intelligence as “the adaptive use of spiritual information to facilitate everyday problem solving and goal attainment.” He originally proposed 5 components of spiritual intelligence:
- The capacity to transcend the physical and material.
- The ability to experience heightened states of consciousness.
- The ability to sanctify everyday experience.
- The ability to utilize spiritual resources to solve problems.
- The capacity to be virtuous.
Cindy Wigglesworth defines spiritual intelligence as “the ability to act with wisdom and compassion, while maintaining inner and outer peace, regardless of the circumstances.”
There is a great article by Cindy Wigglesworth, “Spiritual Intelligence: Living as Your Higher Self” at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cindy-wigglesworth/spiritual-intelligence_b_1752145.html?comm_ref=false&src=sp&utm_hp_ref=fb
This knowledge is not new, but has been ignored. When we disregard this spiritual (divine) intelligence we lose sight of what we are truly capable of. In LiberatingTouch® healing solutions arise from drawing sustenance from this deep well of Infinite Compassionate Spiritual Intelligence.
In LiberatingTouch® the processes used reveal:
- All Wisdom– Spiritual Intelligence (emerging from Truth and Love) is within you.
- This Wisdom can be accessed using inquiry, your breath, hands, and nature.
- Once you discover this Wisdom – Spiritual Intelligence, you can use the knowing this brings, to create harmony and balance, in health, wealth, relationships, i.e. ALL areas of your life.
- The purpose of connecting to this Wisdom is to realise the SELF (Love and Truth), and become aware of its Omnipresence, Omniscience and Omnipotence.
Over the next few months we hope to share a few more insights on Spiritual Intelligence.